one killed in an explosion in Crimea; Evacuation of eastern Ukraine under Russian bombardment

More than 3,000 civilians evacuated from eastern Ukraine in a week

More than 3,000 civilians have been evacuated from the fighting-torn Donetsk region in eastern Ukraine since authorities made such evacuations mandatory in late July, Kyiv announced on Tuesday.

“Over the last six days, 3,000 residents have been evacuated, including nearly 600 children and 1,400 women. Mandatory evacuations continue.said on his Telegram channel Kirill Tymoshenko, the deputy head of the presidential administration.

He said that more than 1.3 million people had been evacuated from the area since Russia began its invasion of Ukraine on February 24 and that there had been “now a population of 350,000 people, including 50,000 children, on the territory of the region”.

Kyiv has been pressuring civilians to evacuate the area for months with mixed results, with many residents refusing to leave citing financial reasons or saying they have nowhere to go.

At the end of July, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky announced that a decision had been made to make the evacuation of the Donetsk region mandatory, especially in anticipation of winter, as the destruction of gas distribution networks threatened to deprive to heating houses

In the last 24 hours, three civilians have been killed and 19 wounded due to fighting in the region, the presidency also said on Tuesday.

After conquering almost all of the Luhansk region, the Russian forces concentrated their assault on the neighboring Donetsk region, with a view in particular to taking Kramatorsk, the main city in the area still under Ukrainian control. The Russian advance, however, remains extremely slow.

Vince Fernandez

"Professional food trailblazer. Devoted communicator. Friendly writer. Avid problem solver. Tv aficionado. Lifelong social media fanatic."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.