Two Sport and Café Racer variants of the British roadster
961 cc twin-cylinder, 76.8 hp and 81 Nm, adjustable Öhlins suspension, Brembo brakes
After its acquisition two and a half years ago by TVS Motor after its setbacks in the Garner era, Norton Motorcycles has begun to get back on wheels, starting with a new factory and multiplying investments before unveiling its first novelties of the new it was.
Following the modernization of the V4SV sports car and the announcement of a stripped-down V4CR version, the Solihull-based manufacturer announced last summer that the legendary Commando would also return to the range in the near future. The manufacturer now lifts the veil on its retro roadster.
The news Norton 961 Command This is how it is presented to us, but through two variants Sport Y cafe corridor that share many points in common.
At the heart of the bike is a 961cc air/oil-cooled inline-twin engine that boasts 76.8 horsepower and 81Nm of torque and is mated to a five-speed wet-clutch gearbox. of oil.
The cycle part is much more dynamic since the damping has been entrusted to fully adjustable Öhlins suspensions at the front and rear, braking entirely by Brembo and 17-inch aluminum wheels with Dunlop Sportmax GPR 300 spokes in 120/70 and 180 /55 tires.
The geometry is traditional with a 1,400mm wheelbase, a 24.5° open steering column and a perched 810mm saddle. The set is still quite heavy at 230kg on the scale.
In the end, Norton announces that it has modified no less than 36% of the parts compared to the previous generation.
The main differences between the CR and SP versions lie first of all in the finishes: black for the sport with its high handlebars, aluminum for the Café Racer and its bracelets. The front fender and carbon seat cover are common to both machines. For the folding passenger seat, you will have to go through the options.
For now, the Norton Commando 961 SP and CR are only available to order in the UK, where they start at £16,499, or around €18,900 at the current conversion rate.
The Norton Commando 961 SP and CR on video
- Engine: Parallel twin, air and oil cooled
- Displacement: 961cc
- Bore x Stroke: 88 x 79mm
- Compression ratio: 10.1:1
- Fuel: electronic fuel injection
- Power: 76.8 hp at 7,250 rpm
- Torque: 81Nm at 6,300rpm
- Clutch: multidisc in oil bath
- Gearbox: 5 gears, constant mesh
- Final drive: 525 chain
- Structure: double steel cradle
- Wheelbase: 1,400mm
- Saddle height: 810mm
- Lead Angle: 24°5′
- Trail: 99mm
- Fuel tank: 15 liters
- Front suspension: 43mm Öhlins inverted fork, adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping
- Rear suspension: Twin fully adjustable Öhlins shock absorbers
- Front Brakes: Twin 320mm floating discs, Brembo 4-piston radial-mount monobloc calipers, ABS, Brembo master cylinder
- Rear brake: 240mm disc, Brembo 2-piston caliper, ABS, Brembo master cylinder
- Wheels: aluminum spoke rims, front 3.5×17, rear 5.5×17
- Front tire: 120/70-17 Dunlop Sportmax GPR 300
- Rear tire: 180/55-17 Dunlop Sportmax GPR 300
- Weight: 230kg
Learn more about Norton
“Troublemaker. Typical travel fan. Food fanatic. Award-winning student. Organizer. Entrepreneur. Bacon specialist.”